The programme is open to all schools and various criteria is used to select schools for participation in the programme for 2021, including:
- Mix of school type – primary, post-primary, other;
- Mix of location – urban (village, town, city), suburban, rural;
- Socio-economic mix – non-DEIS, DEIS schools;
- School’s commitment to sustainable travel – (a) the school is interested in promoting walking and cycling to school or (b) has already demonstrated a commitment to walking, cycling and other active modes by running initiatives such as: Walk on Wednesday, Scoot on Wednesday, Cycle on Wednesday, Cycle Bus, Park ‘n’ Stride etc.; and
- Cluster of schools – if schools are located on the same campus or street/section of road.
SRTS will then develop a list of schools, and a suggested sequencing or grouping of schools in sequence. This is because all schools cannot be progressed simultaneously and a programme of implementation will need to be developed. Schools selected may be suitable for one or more of the infrastructure elements (front of school/cycle parking or upgrade walking/cycling routes).