Is your school bike shed at bursting capacity? Lines of bicycles clogging up the common area? In celebration of the rescheduled Bike Week 2020, Green-Schools are giving away a free bike shelter along with a cycling accessories goodie pack to a lucky school who best demonstrates their need for a bike shed upgrade!
We are all very much enjoying the growing trend of the bicycle becoming the favoured mode of travel by students. What’s not to love about cycling? Students and teachers report that those students who travel to school actively arrive more alert and refreshed compared to students who arrive to school by private car.
Who should apply?
- Any school registered on the Green-Schools programme, who has seen an increase in students choosing to cycle and where capacity to safely park bikes needs an improvement.
- Firstly, meet with those involved in making such decisions. Ask your students, Principal, Parents Association and school staff about either upgrading or installing a new bike shelter before entering.
- The bike shelter will be professionally fitted by engineers at a suitable space in June 2021. The dimensions in feet are 13.6 (L) x 5.9 (W) x 6.8 (H).
How to enter
- Take a photo which best illustrates your schools need for new or improved bike parking. We have some examples of less than favourable bike parking scenarios for inspiration!
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org or tag us @greenschoolsire using the #bikeshedchallenge with your image to be in to win.
- In the email let us know the name of your school, the name of the Green-Schools Coordinator, which Green-Schools theme and year you are currently working on and that you have consented with a decision maker to have the shelter installed should your school win the competition. Check permissions that photo entries can be uploaded to Green-Schools social media accounts and website.
- Closing date is October 2nd 2o2o.
To find out more about Bike Week 2020 visit our recent post or http://www.bikeweek.ie/