Green-Schools Travel recently celebrated the annual Big Travel Challenge Award Ceremony. The awards usually take place in April or May each year but were delayed due to COVID-19 and school closures this year. During a busy online ceremony, schools around the country were honoured as Ireland’s Walking, Cycling, Scooting, Carpooling and Park ‘n’ Stride Schools of the Year before the announcement of this year’s winning Travel School of the Year.
The ceremony also honoured this year’s Green Flag for the Travel and Global Citizenship Travel themes recipients and the #CelebrateCycling and #HiddenPlaces Champions.
Big Travel Challenge Award Winners
- Cycling School of the Year: Ennis National School, Co. Clare (pictured, right)
- Park ‘n’ Stride Schools of the Year: Duiske College, Kilkenny and Rampark National School, Dundalk, Co. Louth
- Carpooling School of the Year: St. Brendan’s National School in Blennerville, Kerry
- Scooting School of the Year: Gaelscoil Sairseal, Limerick
- Walking Schools of the Year: Corpus Christi Primary School, Moyross, Limerick and St. Colmcille’s Senior National School, Kells, County Meath
Ireland’s Travel School of the Year:
- St. Colmcille’s Senior National School, Kells, Co. Meath
Green-Schools Stay Home Project Winners
Celebrate Cycling Champion 2020: This is a very special award for a very admirable ten-year-old student Euan Cradock, who comes from Strandhill in Co. Sligo. He is in 4th class from Gaelscoil Chnoc na Ré and we learnt that during the Green-Schools Stay Home Project Euan dedicated his time to improve his cycling skills! He went on a daily cycle journey, in all weather conditions, for 150 days in a row! He cycled to local forests, beaches, to his friends’ houses and the shops! He just loves to stay active with his family exploring the countryside on his bike. Euan is our Celebrate Cycling champ!
‘Hidden Places’ Champion, Walk to School Week 2020: Our ‘Hidden Places’ Champions are Ballaghkeen National School Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford who engaged with the Green-Schools Stay Home Project during Walk to School Week 2020. We thoroughly enjoyed following their nature walk stories on social media!
Watch the Green-Schools Big Travel Challenge & Green Flag Awards below: