#andshecycles Ambassador Programme open to applicants
Across Ireland, data shows that just one in every 250 teenage girls cycle to school every day. The #andshecycles campaign was developed to explore, understand and address barriers to cycling for teenage girls. Emerging from the #andshecycles research, it is clear that cycling for girls is not nearly as accessible as cycling for boys.
Following a successful pilot year in 2020/2021 the #andshecycles Ambassador Programme is open for applications.
There are three programme objectives:
- Develop role models & leaders for school cycling amongst teenage girls
- Empower teenage girls to shape the cycle-friendliness of their institutions
- Provide opportunities for teenage girls to cycle
The #andshecycles Ambassador Programme, then, is about teenage girls taking action and leading the way so they themselves and others have the genuine option to cycle.
Who can apply?
The #andshecycles Ambassador Programme is open to students in schools that are actively working on, or have completed, the Green-Schools Travel and/or Global Citizenship Travel themes. The #andshecycles Ambassador Programme is inclusive and aims to build a supportive environment for all chosen ambassadors. Students can apply as an individual or as part of a team (max three people per theme) however, each team member must submit their own application form.
Is the programme only for ‘cyclists’?
This programme is open to girls who do not cycle but would like to as well as girls who cycle. We welcome those who are passionate about creating change to enable girls to cycle!
Do I receive any resources for participating?
Successful applicants will receive a ‘Resources Pack’ including a branded #andshecycles Ambassador hoody and pin, and #andshecycles badges for students in their school that are allies of the campaign.
What is involved in the programme?
The programme involves four stages:
- Application stage, where students apply and are selected
- Training stage, where students are briefed and trained in a selection of skills that will help them take action to address the cycling gender gap
- Action stage, where students take action to enable and empower girls to cycle to school
- Award stage, where each ambassador/team of ambassadors are awarded their certificate of completion and outstanding achievements will be recognised.
Will there by opportunities to network with other students?
Ambassadors will have the opportunity to meet with other Ambassadors from across the country at our training event and online ‘Network Gatherings/Support Sessions’ that take place throughout the ‘Action Stage’ of the programme between November 2021 and May 2022. These gatherings will be an opportunity to develop skills, share ideas, support one another, generate collective motivation, collaborate, and build solidarity as Ambassadors for tackling the cycling gender gap.
Read more in the document below, check out the video from past ambassadors and then click the link below to apply! The deadline for applications is Friday, November 5, 2021.