Active Travel – Safe to School
It’s just two weeks until the schools return for the start of the 2020/2021 academic year.
2020 has been quite the ‘journey’ so far, to say the least, but that doesn’t mean your daily journey to school needs to be anything less than fun, active and healthy!
In July 2020, Green-Schools launched ‘Safe to School – An Ideas Document for Safe Access to Schools’, in response to the HSE ‘Interim Recommendations’ for the reopening of schools during the COVID-19 pandemic. Green-Schools Travel Officers nationwide have been working towards new supports for schools to consider implementing in order to allow for recommended physical distancing on arrival to school and to address front of school vehicle congestion.
To celebrate this initiative and the reopening of schools, we are launching a back to school campaign ‘Active Travel – Safe to School’. Families, schools, Boards of Management, community groups and Local Authorities are welcome to participate and we will run prizes throughout the beginning of September to celebrate the new active travel routines carried out by students and school staff.
Take part and help create a healthy environment at your school gate
- Read our “Safe to School” guide for ideas on safe access to school (why not set up a cycle bus, or identify a suitable Park ‘n’ Stride location, or simply get walking, cycling and scooting)
- Active Travel is the best start to a day!
- Map or plan a safe local route
- Start your sustainable Travel journey to school
- Tag us @Greenschoolsire with your active travel journey to be rewarded with prizes